Monday, March 10, 2014

Flowers of War (2011 Chinese Historical Film)




This is not a romantic film! This film is filled with the atrocities of war, but manages to slip in a little romance.

Before I start, I would like to say that I never heard of The Rape of Nanking until I watched this film. It changed my life, I began to research the event and watched other movies that featured this horrible event. This film was inspired by 13 Flowers of Nanjing by Geling Yan.

This film features Christian Bale as an American missionary that comes to China during the 1937 Japanese Invasion of Nanjing (aka Nanking). We eventually see a clash between the young girls and the brothel women.


Although this films starts off rocky, it does get better and has become one of my favorite films. Now on to one of my least favorite romances-the tragic one.

Yu Mo (played Ni Ni, in her acting debut) is the leader of the courtesans or In other words a group of women from a brothel that manage to get into the church's property. This is a conflict between Yu Mo and John Miller (Christian Bale) whom Miller wants to sleep with. In the beginning Yu Mo strings Miller along because he is "white face" which she hopes will hope her survive this tragic time. But towards the end of the film I believe she truly falls in love with him and wants to be with him. She even gives him her body willingly for the first time in her life that she can remember.

John Miller (Christian Bale) is shown as a selfish American drunk but eventually he grows to be a respectable character. He eventually protects the girls and the women that he has no reason to. He falls for Yu Mo early on but truly shows her his heart towards the very end when they are preparing to separate forever.



Christian Bale does a wonderful job in this film, he has great character development and a depth of character that only he seems to know how to use. He adds a whole other level in this film, I see him as a more respectable actor.
Ni Ni such a beautiful women was wonderful in this film, it was her first time acting in anything! I was surprised at that, she already seems like she has a good handle on it. I hope to see her in more films.


I was quite conflicted to add this film to this list because of the tragic events behind it an I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings by including this film here.

4/5





In no way is this film a happy film, so expect to walk away feeling something other than happiness.




No comments:

Post a Comment